Thursday, April 10, 2008

Met New friend in Lunch place

I had an interesting lunch but not because of the food but because I met a new friend. I wanted to have lunch in the Italian restaurant I used to go but they only serve pasta lunch set, it is cheap. However, I don't feel like eating pasta so I went to the Japanese restaurant one floor below. I was trying to ask the waitstress about the menu , the gentleman was trying to help me and he asked if I would like to sit in the same table as him.
The gentleman should be 60 something years old. We started the conversation and he told me he is the owner of the building and this restaurant is his best choice. After we started talking for a while, his secretary also joined us for lunch. His secretary name is 'Akemi', remind me of the bedsheet brand I used in Malaysia. Gentleman english is good and fluent, he used to travel a lot to Europe and US. He told me he has a vacation home in Las Vegas which normally his family go there once a year. Sound so nice !!!
One of our topic is about English. He told me he aware the importance of English so he forced his two sons to study English when they were 5 or 6 years old. He hired American English teacher from US to stay in Japan and taught his 2 sons English. I am so impressed of this idea and the luxury of having personal English teacher imported from America. He told me they studied English for about 10 years also, so in fact most Japanese can read and understand English just that many people are shy to speak in English . They don't have much opportunity to speak English as everyone speaks Japanese. He told me sometimes in a year , he only got 2 chances to speak English, 'Happy Birthday' and 'Merry Christmas'. hahaha... but he is very motivated to speak English and happy chatting with me to practise his English.
Gentleman 's 2 sons are professional golfer. He told me noone wants to inherit his business , the sons think his job is tough and boring. He own Advertising agencies but business was downsizing so he rented out the building instead of using it as another office for his business. I was thinking and telling him , so be a landlord is good, just collect rental. He told me not as easy, the initial cost was so high for him to build this building especially in the city centre.
Lastly, He paid the lunch for me and for his secretary too. When I wanted to pay , he said 'It's over' hehehe... Nice and generous of him. Sometimes I used to meet some nice interesting people when I was in a restaurant so I would like to blog about today new friend's story as my diary.
This gentleman is Teru- san. He told me I am too young to call him Teru-chan as friend. So Teru-san is fine.:)

No comments: